What paperwork do I need to keep?

Please keep all correspondences relating to your Direct Payment, including remittance advice slips from KCC, information and invoices from your payroll company, insurance documents, details of all payments made from your Kent Card and bank account and copies of your bank statements. These will need to be shown to your Case Worker when they do your finance checks.

Why do I have to pay my PA when they take holiday?

As an employer you must follow employment law and holiday pay is a statutory entitlement for an employee.

How many PAs are covered by my insurance policy?

It depends on the insurance company you use, so please check your policy. However, there are policies available within the budget allocated that cover up to 5 PAs. Please speak to your Case Worker for more details.

How many PAs can I have without incurring additional payroll costs?

It will depend on which payroll company you use, so please check with them or speak to your Case Worker.

If I choose to use a payroll company, who pays for this?

You will be provided a budget to cover the cost of using a payroll company. Your Case Worker can provide you with details of companies that can provide cover and their charges are competitive.

Am I responsible for DBS checking my PA?

No, this is done by the Direct Payment Service. Please speak to your Case Worker if you have a PA that needs to be DBS checked.

Who has to be DBS checked?

All PAs working with a child or young person under 18 years and paid with a direct payment MUST have an Enhanced DBS check, even if they are family or are very well known to you. In most cases this needs to be done by the Direct Payment Service, unless they have been checked elsewhere within the last 18 months and can provide a certificate to evidence this (in which case please speak to your Case Worker for guidance). The DBS must be received back and verified by the Direct Payment Service before a PA can work unsupervised with a child. However, if the PA has a valid, Enhanced DBS check, they may be able to work in a supervised role until the new DBS is received back, with the permission of Social Services. Please speak to your Case Worker for more guidance.

Can my child go to the PA’s house?

Yes, if you feel it is a suitable and safe environment.  If however, the child is under 8yrs of age, they cannot be looked after in the PAs home for more than a 2 hour period unless that PA is a registered childminder.

Who is responsible for risk assessments?

If you employ a PA you need to make sure you provide a safe working environment and make your PA are aware of any risks involved with the role. Please refer to the Being an Employer section of the website.

How do I find a suitable PA?

Please speak to your CaseWorker for ideas on how to find a suitable PA. the Direct Payment Service can also provide you with a copy of a PA Register, which lists people who have expressed an interest in working as a PA and you can place an advert on our website.

How many PAs can I have?

You can have as many as you like, however if you have more than five please speak to your Case Worker, as you may have additional responsibilities.

Is the Direct Payment I get flexible?

This depends on your individual circumstances.   Following your financial review, any unused amount of money or hours will be notified by your Beams DP Case Worker to your Social Worker/Care Manager who will then take a decision based on your child in need/care plan and your DP Agreement whether some of the DP funds should be paid back to KCC.

Who can be a PA?

Anyone, as long as they are not resident at the same address as the child receiving the Direct Payment. Remember too that all PAs must have a satisfactory, Enhanced DBS check.

Can my PA get training?

Should you identify specific training needs that your PA requires to carry out their duties please discuss this with your Case Worker.

Do I have to use a PA?

No, you can use an agency to provide a carer, if you would prefer to. Please speak to your Social Worker and Case Worker for guidance or contact us for a list of care agencies.

If my child goes to my PA’s house, does everyone resident there need to be DBS checked?

Not necessarily, your PA has sole responsibility for caring for your child, and they must have a current DBS before they start working for you. If however, your child will come into regular contact with other people in the PA’s house, then speak to you Case Worker about more detailed checks available.

Do I have to pay for my PA’s DBS check?

No, there is no cost to you or your PA.

Who is responsible for paying my PA’s tax and national insurance?

As an employer it is your responsibility to check to see if your employee needs to pay tax and/or national insurance and make the necessary deductions. You can either do this yourself, directly with HMRC, or use a payroll company to do it for you. This may be funded as part of your Direct Payment package.

Where is my direct payment money paid into?

You will be allocated a Kent Card Account and your direct payment will be paid into that account.

What payroll companies can I use?

You can use any company you like, just check that they offer a suitable service and their charges are competitive. Please speak to your Case Worker for more details.

How much paid holiday does my PA get?

Employees are currently entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday per annum, including any public holidays. Employees that are not full time will receive a pro rata amount of paid holiday, depending on the number of hours they work.

How do I calculate how much paid holiday my PA is owed?

It will depend on how many hours they work. Please speak to your SCase Worker and they will be happy to help you calculate the correct amount.

How do I complete a contract for my PA?

Please go to the Download page where you will find template contracts.  You should complete the Contract – Regular Staff for all employees who will work on a regular basis for you, this does not mean every week, but that they have an expectation of regular work. You should complete the Contract – Casual Staff only for those employees who will work infrequently, for example covering other PA’s annual leave, or during school holidays only. For further guidance, please contact your Case Worker.

How long do I need to keep my paperwork for?

HMRC can ask to see paperwork going back 6 years, so please keep all correspondences for at least this long. Insurance documents should also be kept for a minimum of 6 years.